Sunday, March 20, 2011

Supernatural - 6.04 - Weekend at Bobby's - Recap

Preface - I love this episode. I love Bobby. If I'm being really honest, sometimes I love Bobby more than the Winchester brothers. I also love Rufus. In other words, this recap will not be objective - not like any of them are. Also, I wrote this recap during the 2011 spring hiatus but I will be writing it mostly from my impressions when the episode first aired. Therefore, I'm pretending I don't know what's up with Sam.

Shameless Promotion: I also recap White Collar and will host White Collar Tuesdays on SpoilerTV. If you haven't watched it and want to join in the discussion, I'm discussing the Pilot this Tuesday. Check it out and join us. We'd love to have you.

Previously - Bobby traded his soul to Crowley on the condition he give it back, Crowley reneged, we met Rufus and Sherriff Mills, zombies rose in Bobby's town, Bobby got his legs back, Sam was post-hell strange

One year ago, Bobby had the oldest TV to still get a signal (that's Jensen Ackles' dad's voice on the broadcast) and summoned Crowley. Crowley snarked, Bobby said, "Bite me!", and Crowley showed interested before using his finger as a remote. Crowley complimented Sam's pit diving and chastised Bobby for being grumpy after saving the world. Supernatural needs more Bobby-Crowley scenes. They're awesome! Bobby offered Crowley a drink but he doesn't have "Craig. Age 30 years at least. I've been drinking it since grade school." Demons start early. Bobby prefers "old rotgut. Age 6 days." Crowley figured Bobby wants his soul, but there's a catch - no kidding. Crowley didn't have to give his soul back, only make an effort. Crowley's "effort" consisted of Shakespeare hand acting and grimacing. Bwah! Bobby countered by revealing a devil's trap in invisible paint. It's all cool and glowy when Bobby turns on the black light. Crowley, of course, had a plan. Enter a hellhound. Crowley: "Ball's in your court, Robert. Ten years of living or ten years as Alpo." Checkmate! Bobby let Crowley out. I'd watch out Crowley because a ticked off Bobby is not someone I'd mess with. Crowley: "Happy hunting!"

Fast forward a year - In Kenosha, Wisconsin, Dean's hand is inside a dead guy's innards while children play nearby. Not good. He shows Sam a claw and calls Bobby, who comes inside to get it. Dean: "What happened to you? You fallen and can't get up." What? Does Bobby always answer his home phone on the first ring? Normal people would assume he's out and try the cell phone. Bobby's not amused either. The Kenosha case is odd - no EMF, sulfur, or hex bags. Just 6 bodies and a claw. Dean sends a photo to Bobby's ancient computer. I'm surprised he can get photos on it, much less that quickly. Bobby's stumped too. Dean wants info ASAP but Bobby is working on something. No sympathy from Dean who tells him to kick out Bo Derek . Dean's kind of a jerk tonight. I get there's dead bodies but Bobby is a hunter too. What if he was working on something equally important?

We montage Bobby's information search to the tune of The Gambler. Perfect! No luck in his books so he heads to the Sioux Falls University Library, more like a neighborhood library from its size, waving at a blond neighbor on the way. The library's closed and he breaks a window to get in. Quite frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't snaked a key or found a less intrusive way. Surely, it's not the first time he had to get a book after hours. Speaking of which, what college library is closed on Sunday anyway. It's a bad day all around since the car won't start either. Good thing he's a mechanic. He finally arrives home at 1:00 am and No-Doz-es until lunchtime. Or at least Dean's lunchtime, as he scarfs burgers from the Burger Barn. It's a lamia, which is killed by a blessed silver knife. Dean hangs up. What, no thank you? Ingrate! Yep, Bobby's definitely their parent!

A voice yells from the basement where a pretty demon is tied up. "Hey there cranky. You were gone so long, I just assumed alcoholic coma." Ha! I like her. Bobby was mid-demon interrogation when Dean called. Might have been worth mentioning to brothers, huh Bobby? Bobby wants Crowley's real name but the demon coos, "Foreplay gets you more play." She's cheestastic! Until she brings Bobby's wife up. Now she must die. Bobby shows her a sack that contains something of hers. Not fair, Bobby. Share with the rest of the class. It makes the demon oddly quiet; she says burning the contents is a myth but she starts burning when he does. What! Crowley's the King of Hell? Huh? When did that happen? Bobby's as floored as I am. Lucky for her, the doorbell rings and I'm reminded of A Very Supernatural Christmas when it saved Dean and Sam. I don't think it will work today.

Marcy, the pretty blond neighbor Bobby waved to earlier, is at the door with ginger peach cobbler (yum) and an obvious desire to date. You don't know what you're getting into, honey. She hears demon girl yelling and Bobby says it's a horror movie. Marcy: "I love scary movies. Hey, have you seen Drag Me to Hell?" Bobby: "Trying to avoid it." Bwah! Good choice on both fronts! Marcy invites Bobby to her house for some yummy food and a bad horror flick. Bobby says it sounds great but… Marcy tries another route with a broken wood chipper. Who owns a wood chipper? This time she gets a nibble as Bobby says he'll see. They shake hands awkwardly and glance at each other a lot.

Back in demon central, the demon snarks about Marcy, but Bobby torches the sack again. Crowley's name is Fergus McCloud, but the other kids call him Lucky the Leprechaun behind his back. See, bullies never get real respect. Bobby: "McCloud's Scottish, Einstein." (snicker) Love how Bobby focuses on what's really important. The demon wants to go back…um, to hell maybe…but Bobby torches the sack instead. Demon: "No, we had a deal." Bobby: "I gave it my best effort." Yikes! That's cold! Bobby's not playing here. Demon girl burns up, and at this time, I figure it's her bones in the bag. I don't understand why torching them would smoke her. Plus, when demons get ganked, don't they end up back in hell anyway? Why would she care? The Things that Confuse Me List marches in.

Back upstairs, Bobby researches Scotland and talks to the dumbest hunter on the planet, Garth. He tells Garth it's not a vampire, so he should call the FBI. When Garth calls him back he says, "No Garth, not me the FBI. The real FBI. How are you still alive?" BWWAAHH!! I almost choke on my gum from laughing. No wonder Bobby calls people "idjits" all the time. We montage Bobby answering phones for possibly every hunter on Earth. He can't even drink his coffee. I alwaysthought of Bobby as only Dean and Sam's personal reference and fake credential go-to guy. I'm as bad as they are. Bobby's one busy guy! The montage ends with Rufus (nice to see you) banging on his door. "Oh good. You're home. Listen, you've got to help me bury a body." Ha! My face has the same expression as Bobby's. Bobby and Rufus play a round of Grumpy Old Men. The law is after Rufus so he had no choice but to bring the body there. Bobby says Rufus has gotten slow and Rufus responds that he doesn't sit around taking phone calls all day. Yeah, but who do you and everyone else go to when there's a problem? That's right! Bobby. Rufus bagged an okami, which is odd since they are usually found in Japan. Both are puzzled since lamias never leave Greece and the Winchesters found one in Wisconsin. "Monsters lately. Is it me or is it weird?" Rufus asks for a shovel and woo hoo! Bobby brings out the backhoe! Rufus: "Man, I know what I want for Hanukkah." Every hunter should have one.

They banter about Crowley as they bury the okami. Makes you wonder how many bodies are buried in Bobby's yard. He might be on CNN as a serial killer one day. Bobby's looking for Crowley in Scotland because he likes Craig. Rufus: "It's scotch - only made and sold in a tiny area on the north tip of Caithness County. It's peaty and sharp with a long finish of citrus and tobacco notes….Hey what? What, am I a heathen? I know what Craig is." Well, call me heathen Rufus, because I looked long and hard but I can't find info on it anywhere. The closest I get is Glencraig , which is a whiskey made in Speyside - eastern Scotland, south of Caithness County. Still, I originally thought Craig was a 30-year-old man whom Crowley was drinking the blood, soul, or life essence from. What can I say? I've seen too much Buffy. Bobby thinks he lived there a few hundred years ago as a human, and Rufus offers to call some contacts. Bobby: "Well, I ain't asking for no help." Rufus: "I'm not asking for your permission." First, I love these two together. Second, Bobby, maybe this is why no one appreciates you. Everyone needs to ask for help sometime.

We stop the Bobby saga (and his chance to eat the cobbler) for a little Winchester comic relief. The silver knife plan led to a dead priest and Sam thrown into walls. While Bobby tries to help them, the FBI knock at his door. He tells Dean to get salt and rosemary and both Dean and Agent Adams are impatient for his time. Bobby passes the call off as a recipe for his mother. "Blend the herbs. Sauté over a high heat. Cook well." Dean correctly interprets it as mix salt and rosemary, throw it at the lamia, and burn it to a crisp. At the sounds of lamia flambé, Bobby ends the call - "Enjoy the roast, Mom." Ha! Sheriff Mills accompanies Adams, who wants "Rufus Turner aka Luther Vandross aka Ruben Studdard." Do all hunters use musician aliases? Plus, isn't an American Idol winner a bit too high profile? Bobby denies knowing him, and he and Adams start a testosterone war which Mills stops. "Ok fellas. Put the rulers away. Zip up." She calls Bobby a crank but convinces Adams to wait outside while she looks inside.

Bobby isn't happy with this plan either. Mills didn't think Bobby wanted him inside. "I don't. I've got a body in my basement." "My point" "Yeah, but I've got another body buried in the yard." Bwah! Things are complicated. They search the yard for Adams, who finds a huge hole where the okami used to be buried. Bobby claims exploded septic tank. He calls Rufus, who is already two states over, and they debate okami-killing techniques. He used a bamboo dagger blessed by a Shinto priest, but stabbed it five times not seven. They argue, but as the okami is alive, Bobby's clearly right. Rufus says it fed on single white females at night, which leads Bobby to Marcy. She may be interested, but this can only end badly. A shadow run past her as Bobby breaks in. The okami throws Bobby through a window and jumps after him. And then possibly the greatest hunter weapon of all time! Bobby throws her into the wood chipper. Fabulous! It works by the way, so it was a rouse to get Bobby over. But since Marcy is covered in okami bits, the courtship is over. Bobby: "Well, I guess I could over for dinner some night. Might be fun." Marcy: "I don’t think so." Bobby: "Story of my life." Aw, Bobby, I feel bad finding fun in the miseries of your life. But it was funny.

The next morning, Bobby and Rufus talk and Rufus asks how he happened to have a priest-blessed dagger around. Quite frankly, at this point nothing surprises me in Bobby's house. Bobby: "Wood chipper." Rufus: "Okey dokey, wood chipper. That pretty much trumps everything." Bwah! You betcha. Also, I bow to Dean here. "I like him. He says okey dokey." Rufus says thanks for fixing his mistake and Bobby says he stills owes Rufus more than Rufus owes him. Rufus is pretty chipper at that and adds to the debt. He found Fergus Roderick McCloud, born in Scotland 1661, and his son, Gavin, who came to America and died in shipwreck in 1723. His signet ring is in an Andover Museum. Bobby really needs it so he stumbles through a request for aid. I love Rufus! He's already on his way to get it. Rufus exposits hostage exchange - son for Bobby's soul, but Bobby's vague on the details. Rufus sounds genuinely worried about Bobby's soul deal. Aw!

It's cobbler time again so that can only mean one thing - phone call. Caller ID says John P. Jones, but it's Dean. He's worried about Sam and as we launch into sob story 6,193 another call comes in. Dean's ticked; I'm relieved. Nice timing…..Rufus. He's got the ring and cops on his tail. He swallows the ring and I so don't want details on fetching it back. Rufus is arrested, which is far more entertaining than Dean, round 2. "You know you are the one person that I can talk to about this stuff. About Sam and about leaving Lisa and Ben. I mean I don't even know which way is up right now." I feel for Dean. I really do, but I hoped to leave the Weepy Winchesters in season 5. Bobby, focused on his own problems, says it isn't a good time. Dean plays the girl feelings card and tries guilting Bobby into responding. Then he calls Bobby selfish. Seriously, Dean! All sympathy for your plight ends here! How dare you call Bobby selfish when he's done more for you two than anyone! He's a father to you. He deals with both of you whining/squabbling and your constant needs. He's covered for you, talked you off the roof, and was paralyzed to keep you safe. Stop the pity train. Put on your big boy pants and STOP WHINING!!! Where the heck is my fun, snarky Dean of old?

Bobby's had enough too. I've heard that voice from my parents. The one that says you've pushed too far and he's laying down the law. I CANNOT WAIT for the much overdue smack down. "Sam, Dean, I love you like my own. I do, but sometimes, sometimes you two are the whiniest, most self-absorbed (SOB's) I ever met. I'm selfish? Me? I do everything for you, everything. You need some lore scrounged up, you need your **** pulled out of the fire, you need someone to *** to about each other. You call me and I come through every damn time. And what do I get for it? Jack with a side of squat!" Dean tries to interrupt. "Do I sound like I'm done? Now look. I know you've got issues. God knows I know, but I got a news flash for you. You ain't the center of the universe. Now it may have slipped your mind that Crowley owns my soul and the meter is running. And I will be damned if I am gonna sit around and be damned! So how about you two sack up and help me for once." HALLELUJAH! It's about time! The Winchesters have needed this for over a year. Someone should write a song commemorating Bobby's words that they can play in the Impala when they got all uber-involved in themselves again. If I didn't already love Bobby, I would adore him now. Dean and Sam backtrack quickly. Sam tells him they'll help, just ask. Dean: "Anything you need, we're there." Again, about time! Although Bobby should have spoken up earlier about needing help. Sam no longer has super special powers so mind-reading is out, Bobby.

Bobby meets Sheriff Mills on a bridge. Marcy called in a home invasion, but she didn't file a report. He needs a lot of help this episode. Sheriff: "Luther Vandross turn up? Tell him I'm a fan." Aren't we all sometimes. Bobby wants Rufus extradited for murder. She laughs; he's serious. "I like you Bobby, but this could nuke my career." Bobby: "Look, I've done a lot for this town. Some you know about, some you don't. And I'm not real good at this whole asking for help thing, but.." Mills says no and drives off. Aw. The first time you ask for help on your own and you're shot down. I feel for you. Bobby sits to soak in alcohol-filled depression, but he doesn't even get time for that. There's a knock at the door, and what do you know, Mills is there with Rufus. Well, howdy, Sheriff. You've raised a lot in my esteem in 30 seconds. She gives them 1 hour before she calls in the jail break. "I lose my job over this, I am taking it out on your ***" Such language from Cody and Zack's mom! Bobby asks for the ring and Rufus starts to hand it to him. "I'll go boil some water." Smart plan, Bobby. Rufus: "What?" Me: "Bwaaaah!"

In Bobby's room of spirit summoning, the ring floats while Bobby spouts Latin. Ghost of Shipwrecks Past appears wondering if he's in hell. (snicker) Bobby threatens him and we cut to summoning Crowley. He's not looking well. Too much partying with your new title? Bobby: "Word on the street is that ever since Lucifer went to the pokey, you're the Big Kahuna downstairs…Trouble in paradise?" Crowley drowns his sorrow in booze and Alka Seltzer. Ha! "Mate, you have no idea. I thought when I got the corner office… it was all going to be rainbows and two-headed puppies. But if I'm being honest, it's been hell…You know what the problem with demons is?" "They're demons?" Crowley: "Exactly! Evil, lying prats the whole lot of them. And stupid! You try to show them a new way, a better way, and what do you get?...You know there's days that I think Lucifer's whole "spike anything with black eyes" plan was not bad. Hmm? Feels good to get it off my chest. We should make this a thing." Poor Bobby. Even the King of Hell wants to whine to him. Bobby: "Do I look like Dr. Phil to you?" "A little." This whole exchange makes me laugh and wish we had more Crowley and Bobby time.

Bobby starts expositing but Crowley beats him to the punch. "I'll save you the recap. In fact I'll do the shorthand for you." Thanks Crowley! In the funniest scene in season 6 so far, Crowley runs both sides of the dialogue himself:

"I want ma soul back idjit."
"Fraid not."
"But I'm surly and I got a beard. Gimme."
"blah blah blah homespun, cornpone insult. Witty retort from yours truly. And the bottom line is you get bubbkas. Are we done?"

Bobby: "Just getting started." Ghost Gavin appears and Crowley responds in a soft voice I've never heard him use. Crowley concerned about someone other than himself? Really? Gavin is surprisingly flat faced, but when Crowley tries to croak out that he loves him the jig is up. Yeah, didn't think so. Crowley gives Bobby points for divergent thinking but he only cares for himself. 'You want to torture him, just let me pull up a chair and I'll watch. Hell, burn his bones, send him down to me, we can have a family reunion." I think this winning speech made him King of Hell. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense. If burning his bones sends him to hell, then why was the demon chick so terrified? Wouldn't she go to hell either burning or exorcism? Bobby lowers the boom though. "I was just using him to dig up dirt on you. And since Gavin hates you maybe even more than you hate him, he was more than happy to squawk." Apparently, Gavin told Bobby everything, which makes Crowley nervous as Gavin flickers out. "You may be King of the Dirtbags here, but in life, you were nothing but a two-bit tailor who sold his soul in exchange for an extra 3 inches below the belt." Um, that's all you got, Crowley? I'm disappointed.

Crowley snarks, but Bobby has the last laugh. He knows Crowley's burial plot and throws him the phone. Dean's on the line. What? I can't believe it, mostly because Kripke vowed not to; Dean and Sam are in Scotland. That must have been fun! I hope Sam packed sleeping pills because Metallica won't cut it on overseas flights. Dean: "Did you really used to wear a skirt?" Crowley: "A kilt. I had very athletic calves." I love Crowley snarking for all he's worth even though he's beaten. Dean has his bones. Crowley says burning them is a myth but they rerun the basement demon in case you missed it earlier. Seriously, our attention spans aren't that short. Perhaps burning demon bones is different than ghosts, but why? Bobby: "You demons, you think you're something special, but you're just spirits. Twisted, perverted, evil spirits, but end of the day, you're nothing but ghosts with an ego." So there is no difference? Then why don't they go back to hell? The Things That Confuse Me List writes a chapter with this conundrum. Bobby says they torch the bones and he burns. Dean: "You hear that Crowley? That's me flicking my Bic for you." Ha! Haven't heard that since the 80's. Bobby sets the terms - "Your bones for my soul." Crowley caves.

He waves his hands and the demon deal disappears, well, except the part that keeps Bobby out of a wheelchair. "Pleasure doing business with ya." Crowley demands out of the devil's trap, and we join him and the Winchesters in Scotland. He wants the bones but Dean would rather back out of the deal. "Maybe I'll just napalm your *** anyhow." Sounds like a good plan to me although I would miss his snark. Apparently Sam likes snarkiness too as he stops Dean. "I don't need you to fight my battles for me Moose! Get bent!" BWAHHH! Maybe Sam should rethink. Crowley poufs out: "Now if you excuse me, I've got a little hell to raise." Sam saving Crowley is a bit suspicious. Obviously deals don't mean much to Crowley so they'll have one ticked off King of Hell after them. It's odd for them to waste a chance to take him out. Anyway, the brothers drive off in a European clown car. Sam's hunched over and they practically sit on each other's laps. I snicker. Bobby says thanks, commiserating with Dean's 9 hour plane ride. Dean says it's fine but Sam tattles. "He white knuckled his way through 4 puke bags." Ugh! I feel sorry for those next to him. Dean: "Well at least I was sober. Some nut job decided to try something, I was ready. I had a fork." Ha! So pure terror is what they need to keep Dean sober? They might want to try that on a regular basis.

Bobby? Oh no you don't. Do not take back what you said to those two idjits earlier. You were right to call them on the carpet. Sam: "You were right Bobby. We take you for granted." Dean: "You've been cleaning up our messes for years, Bobby. You know, without you, I don't even want to think about where me and Sam would have ended up." The music of poignant re-bonding and family strength plays in the background. I might need a puke bags. Bobby: "OK then. Let's roll credits on this chick flick." Agreed. He tells them to try the native cuisine - not too sure about that one. Dean: "I hear they have an Olive Garden." Uh…um…bwah! Bobby rolls his eyes while I smirk. He goes to eat that much-deserved cobbler, but, wait for it….the phone rings. Second verse…same as the first.

I love this episode. I like the Bobby-centric plot and getting to see hunting from his point of view. I LOVE him telling the Winchesters to stop acting like whiny babies. And Rufus, well, he's just gold in my book. All around, an excellent episode. Kuddos, Jensen Ackles for a fine job on your first directing gig. And kuddos to the rest of the Supernatural cast and crew. You always make me glad to watch.

Screencaps by Supernatural Caps and Supernatural Fans Online
My blog

No comments:

Post a Comment